Saturday, May 23, 2009

I usually don't freak out about health stuff

But I almost fainted three times when I was at zumba today. I had forgotten water, so in between songs I snuck out to get a drink from the water fountain. I was doing ok, not too hot, not too tired. I hopped back in since they had started a new song. At some point during that song, I realized I was feeling lightheaded. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw that I was a little pale. I finished the song and went to get another drink.

As I was walking down the hall, I started seeing spots in front of my face and had muffled sound and still felt lightheaded. I got my drink and went to the front desk. I told the lady there: "I'm very close to passing out. I'm going to sit over there (right in front of the desk) and if you could keep an eye on me, that would be great." I sat down, took some deep breaths to try to cool down and started feeling a bit better. Not a whole lot, but I didn't feel like I was going to fall over any second. I started running through lifeguarding stuff in my head and decided to ask the front desk lady for an icepack. I put the icepack on all my pressure points: at the back of my neck, under my armpits and in my groin. It did help, but I still wasn't feeling 100%.

I decided the icepack wasn't cooling me off enough fast enough, so I went to the locker room to take a cold shower. Mind you, I hadn't planned on taking a shower, so I had no towel and only one set of clothes. As I was going to the locker room, I saw spots, had muffled sound and lightheadedness again. I stopped and got another drink. When I went into the locker room, I felt like I was going to vomit. I scooted into a stall, but nothing happened. I finally got into a shower and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the shower to have cold water. It seemed no matter which way I turned it, it was always warm. I eventually got it to be cold and stood under it.

At that point, I saw spots again and started having labored breathing. I had to lean against the wall, whereas each other time I was able to walk and support myself upright. That was the closest I actually came to passing out. I was none too happy about it, either. Here I am naked in the shower at the gym. I could just imagine some unlucky person finding me/reviving me. Luckily my lifeguarding was still running through my head and I had one more thing to try. I balanced myself on the foot and a half wide bench in the shower and elevated my legs. Literally within seconds I felt better. I stayed that way for about five minutes to make sure it had passed and tried to get up. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall, watching me try to get off the very narrow, very wet bench without falling over. I did it, somehow, and put my clothes back on without being able to dry off. Have I mentioned that I HATE WET CLOTHES????

Anyway, I saw my friends that had been at zumba with me when I left the locker room. I hadn't told them what was going on when I left because I didn't want them to worry. They told me they would have helped me if they had known. Maybe I should have told them. It may have eased the potential naked shower revival.

I am going to go to the doctor to hopefully find out what is going on. This has only happened four times before: once when I missed a step going to class in high school and landed sideways on my ankle, once in high school again when I gave blood, once when I was teaching and hadn't had a well-balanced breakfast (I don't need commentary about this, Ben), and once when I was actually at the house of the friends who were at zumba when I hadn't eaten breakfast and had some honey to relieve a cough from the night before. I did have breakfast today, though. I think I was just dehydrated. I still feel a little out of it. Don't worry, like I said, I'm going to go to the doctor. I had them do a blood sugar fast test back in January and keep forgetting to reschedule a follow-up. I am going to go, I promise.

Needless to say, I didn't do the extra exercising I was going to do today and really only got through about forty minutes of zumba. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment