I know I've mentioned my foot problem. Today it hurt a little more than usual. Well, let me take that back. It did not hurt as much as when I do zumba, but it hurt more than other times I've worked out in the fitness room.
I did 25 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes on the handbike. Even after 15 minutes on the handbike, my right foot was still bothering me a lot, so I went and read a magazine in the lobby while Ben finished his workout. It is still a little tingly.
Ben was talking with his fitness advisor guy about me. (I could hear them talking while I was on the elliptical and Ben was on a machine behind me.) Then, after I was done, I went to stand with him and he was talking to the guy about Triumph and how he hoped that working out will improve his stamina in the game. When I got there, Ben asked me how my feet were doing and I said not good. The fitness advisor guy tried to diagnose me with a disorder that I knew I didn't have. Nice try, dude. Plantar Fasciitis is in the bottom of the feet and mine's in the tops. E for effort, though.
Fitness advisors and personal trainers kind of bug me. I have several friends/relatives who are personal trainers, so I have nothing against the people themselves, just the profession. I do not really want someone telling me how to exercise. I know how to exercise. I just don't do it...often. Though, this is in the process of being rectified. When I joined the gym in Indy, the guy who showed me around was trying to sell me on the weight machines, telling me that I "needed" to use them if I was going to be losing weight so that I wouldn't be droopy and have extra skin. Thank you very much, but I will exercise the way I want to exercise. Weight machines are not my thing. Aerobic exercise is much more enjoyable for me and if I do enough aerobic exercise, it will develop the exact same muscles that the weight machines develop and burn fat in the process. In contrast, the weight machines only build muscle and don't really help with the burning fat part, since they are anaerobic exercises.
**DISCLAIMER** Obviously, I did not get a degree in fitness. I am fully aware that my views may not be entirely correct. However, I still don't like someone telling me "This is how you should exercise." I would not enjoy it and would grow to hate exercise, which would be counterproductive.
I will do exercises that I enjoy, or at least can tolerate, so that I am somewhat motivated to do the exercise in the first place. I love to dance, which is why I do zumba. I love to swim, and do so for exercise. Honestly, I enjoy swimming laps a whole hell of a lot more than I like aqua aerobics. I love volleyball. Ben and I were in a co-ed league in Indy for a couple seasons, and even for one season after I moved here...but it became too much of a hassle to drive there every Friday. I want to get started with it again here, but Ben and I keep missing the open net time at the gym. I can tolerate running on the elliptical, working on the stationary bike or doing the handbike, as long as my feet don't bug me too much. Ben enjoys doing the fitness equipment and so when we go together, most of the time I do the machines so that we can spend that time together. If I don't enjoy the exercise I'm doing or grow to resent it, it will be that much more difficult for me to be motivated to exercise, plain and simple.
No comments:
Post a Comment